a. A jointed or flexible device that allows the turning or pivoting of a part,such as a door or lid, on a stationary frame.
b. A similar structure or part, such as one that enables the valves of abivalve mollusk to open and close.
2. A small folded paper rectangle gummed on one side, used especially to fastenstamps in an album.
3. A point or circumstance on which subsequent events depend.
4. (Mechanical Engineering) a device for holding together two parts such that one can swing relative to the other,typically having two interlocking metal leaves held by a pin about which they pivot
5. (Anatomy) anatomy a type of joint, such as the knee joint, that moves only backwards and forwards; a joint thatfunctions in only one plane. Technical name: ginglymus
6. (Zoology) a similar structure in invertebrate animals, such as the joint between the two halves of a bivalve shell
7. something on which events, opinions, etc, turn
8. (Philately) philately Also called: mount a small thin transparent strip of gummed paper for affixing a stamp to apage